Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 5 - I actually went into work

I woke up a little before 8 am and took my xanax- lexapro combo. I felt tense and a little tired, but I felt confident that I would have a good day. I took a shower and ate a breakfast of two eggs, a bagel and a banana.

My tension increased as I drove to work. Listening to the radio, specifically talk shows, seems to relax me. I think talk radio gives me the false impression that someone else is there with me and I am apart of the conversation. However, by the time I parked my car, I was really panicky and did not want to get out of my car. I was not having a panic attack, but I could feel the tension getting worse and worse and I wanted to escape the situation and go home. I called my father who convinced me to ride it out and try to go into my office. I was by myself in the office and my tension would come and go. I took another xanax, did some controlled breathing, and began to relax. Within an hour more people started to arrive in the office (people come in between 9 30 and 11), and I started to feel more comfortable.

Other than my morning experience, my energy was up and I almost felt like normal me. My energy disappeared in the afternoon, but so did my office mate's. Our work is boring and we were practically done for the week.

I came home around 4 30 PM and tried to take a nap. I could not fall asleep, but I just laid on my bed watching TV.

I ate dinner with my pills. I was suppose to go to a birthday party, but I had no motivation or energy to go. I ended up watching a movie with my roommates and going to bed. I had no trouble sleeping.

2 comments:

  1. Hi David! I have a 17 year old son that has been seeing a therapist and is now on Lexapro. He started it a couple of months ago and is doing relatively well on it so far. But he is still every now and then having some bad depression spells. But overall Lexapro has made a huge difference. I am gonna share your blog with him and see if it will help him to know that other young men are going thru this same journey. You will be in my prayers. I hope you continue to do well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary. I was very apprehensive the first week I was on this pill. I finally talked to some close friends and found out that one of my best friends was currently on lexapro and believes it has helped her tremendously. I also found out my best friends girl friend and roommate is on it. It made me so much more comfortable knowing other people have / are taking this drug and it is actually helping them.

    Tell your son, I am happy Lexapro is helping his depression spells. One technique that has helped me (even before Lexapro) is taking things one day at a time. I know that is hard for a high schooler, but slowing down has really helped me.

    ReplyDelete