Monday, February 16, 2009

Quick Background

Why I started this blog:
After being prescribed Lexapro (like anyone else reading this post), I decided to do some research about this drug. I was horrified to find that the internet is flooded with negative feedback, with continuing themes of "STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG", "I was better off before Lexapro", "...awful side-affects...withdrawl...", etc. After about two hours of reading individuals' scary encounters (enough to give anybody nightmares) I had to ask my self, Why would anyone take this horrific pill?

Needless to say, I called my Psychiatrist and she put things into prospective. Do a google search on almost any drug (Tylenol, Advil, etc) and you will find mostly bad reviews. And its true, we as a society rarely publicize the good, while openly complaining about the bad.

A week ago, I decided to start taking Lexapro. I am hoping this, combined with cognitive therapy, I can be happy and function normally once again. This first week has been a tough roller coaster and it is very hard to stay positive. I am experiencing those side effects that only "10% this" and "12% that" will experience, however, I have enjoyed a slight increase on my everyday mood and energy levels. With these negative side effects, I find myself waking up in the middle of the night searching online to see how people have dealt with these negative effects. But yet again, I only find the same haunting stories and I end up popping another xanax and finally, thankfully, fall back to sleep.

Well enough is enough. I am going to post my day to day experiences of what Lexapro is doing to my life. In a few weeks, I will hopefully be able to report how wonderfully Lexapro has cured my anxiety / depression or at least I will know, Lexapro is not for me. The point of this blog is simple. I want others to be able to see what Lexapro can do to an unbiased individual trying to get his life back. I would also appreciate any support and advice for me and any anyone reading this looking for help with their experiences on Lexapro.

Why I am on Lexapro / My Background:

I graduated college this spring (May, 2008) and luckily had a job lined up to start early July. Within a month of working, I moved out with some college friends (yet still close to home) and was enjoying life. Working, exercising, drinking coffee during the week, alochol on the weekends.

Come late August I had my first panic attack. I went to the hospital, thinking I was having heart problems, but everything was alright. The ER Dr. didn't even mention the word Panic attack. A week later I had a similar panic spell at work and my sister had to pick me up and take me the hospital again. After checking all my vitals and x-rays, the Dr. started talking to me about my stress levels. He said he couldn't diagnose my problem as panic attacks but that is what he believed was causing my problems. The next morning I saw my General Doctor and she prescribed Xanax.

September, October, November all flew by with a few stressful experiences but no panic attacks and no experiences where I felt necessary to take a xanax. I noticed a decrease in tolerance to coffee (going from a few cups a day to being able to barely down a cup) and I began experiencing a build up in phlegm when I would lift weights.

Come late December I started getting terrible hangovers from drinking alcohol. No matter how much water I drank the next day, I would have awful flu like symptoms and awful pain through out my entire body. Mid January, I barely would drink. It had gotten to the point where if I drank a beer, I would throw up an hour later.

Mid to late January is when I realized I needed help. I was taking a Xanax every other day and I was barely leaving the house. I had no energy, I was always tired and looked forward to going to bed every evening. Being able to work from home, I never went into my office and took naps during the day. I could no longer concentrate on simple tasks and couldn't even look at a page long enough to read a book. I stopped going to the gym and I never went out on the weekends with my friends. If I had to leave my house, I would get one of my roommates to drive because I was afraid of driving any where by myself in the car. I was always tense behind the wheel since I am so tired, afraid I will pass out or get stuck some where and no one will be able to help me.

Not wanting medication, I tried seeing a therapist PH.d. After two sessions, I was not clicking with this individual and am about to start with a new one. At the same time, I tried acupuncture and some herbal medicines. Though the acupuncture was relaxing and the Dr. was very helpful, I still had zero energy and was very unhappy.

So I finally saw a psychiatrist. After an hour session I felt very comfortable and on the same level as she. She believes that I have a mild case of depression with some general anxiety. She is the one who has recommended and prescribed my Lexapro. She warned of the some side effects: nausea and lowered sex drive. She mentioned others but I was so tired that I don't remember all of them. She has also put me in contact with a Psychologist who is more my age.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, found your blog because I was just given some samples of Lexapro and am trying to see if others have the same side effects I've been having.
    Anyway, my main question to you is about your coffee and alcohol intolerance. I have experienced the EXACT same thing relating to both, but no doctor has ever been able to tell me why. One doctor went as far to say as that I may have the same problems Asians do because they lack certain enzymes that can process alcohol, and asked me if I had any Asian relatives (I do not).
    You may address this in later posts, but I haven't read them yet. I was just wondering if anyone has ever given you any answers regarding the intolerances. I'd love to have some answers of my own.
    Thanks :)
    Claire

    p.s. feel free to email me!

    ReplyDelete